“In my sun-splashed kitchen, I chop onions and carrots and everything comes back into alignment. Knife to wooden cutting board— bare feet to bare floor, slowly I forget to strive. I scoop a double handful of vegetables and toss them into my dutch oven and I remember my place and it is worth more than one deep breath.
My place is here, in this blue house with these people and these countertops that warp in the heat. My place is using my hands to do what they can— and holding joy in my small circle of influence. My place is using that silver laptop and the words I have to offer hope in whatever cracks I can. My place is here. My place is not willful blindness to the hurt of the world; my place is to start where I stand and go forward from there.
And the soup helps because making soup is the opposite of striving. Any decent soup recipe is a handful of ingredients and time. Soup-making is contrary to hustle. Too much hustle often makes bad soup and a weary heart. I have little use for either.” — from Simmer: Six Seasonal Soups & the Stories that Inspired Them. Get your copy here.
Well. Friends? You have completely blown me away with your big-hearted support for this little ebook. So many of you have sent me comments, emails, text messages– all saying the most lovely things about Simmer and what you have enjoyed about it. There is nothing so sweet as seeing photos of your soup creations and feeling as though we are on this journey together.
And so, because I am a girl who loves a good product, and I am a girl who loves to celebrate– I’ve been curating a basket of kitchen pretties for one of you. Don’t you want to know what is in it? I knew you would.
- Williams-Sonoma Thanksgiving Turkey Herbs
- Gourmet Pumpkin Pie Spice, Savory Spice Shop in Franklin, TN
- Harney & Sons Cinnamon Tea (this is my all time favorite fall tea.)
- Golden Garden Recipe cards, Rifle Paper Co.
- Blue Buffalo Check Kitchen Towel, Williams-Sonoma (their towels are a must-have in our house, so absorbent and they hold up so well.)
- Polished Wooden Salt Bowl (perfect for a pinch of salt near the stove.)
- Green Spatula Spoon, Williams-Sonoma
- Beechwood Spoon, White’s Mercantile in Franklin, TN
- Walnut Wooden Spoon, Williams-Sonoma
- Blue & White Gather Banner (I have one of these and I think I may just leave it up year round!)
(basket not included.)
You may enter below by helping me spread the word about Simmer– this giveaway will run for one week and then I will choose one lucky reader and mail them all this goodness!
(Neither this giveaway nor this post are sponsored, I just thought it would be fun!)