I can serve my children instant waffles like a boss. Slice up a few strawberries, dust that powdered sugar and boom. Done, and they are happy little campers. Most mornings that is exactly how we roll.
But sometimes I realize that spring break is coming ’round the mountain and they’ve been stuffing their cheeks with cadbury eggs every time I leave the room. Sometimes I notice that yogurt has been their main protein for the last few meals and the only part of nature’s rainbow they have tasted has been orange juice. Every now and then I recognize that if I’m going to infiltrate their diet with things like rolled oats and flax seed, I’m going to have to get out the mixing bowl and be sneaky.
That is exactly how these Banana Coconut Flax muffins came into our world. They are super quick, very hearty, and will likely please even the pickiest tiny human or their parents. We add a little crushed almonds and raw sugar to the tops for crunch and texture, but you could do crushed granola or even more coconut. Enjoy!
P.S. Try them with an Iced Coffee— it’s pretty much the greatest antioxidant ever.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup of raw sugar
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 heaping tbs. greek yogurt
- ¾ cup dried, unsweetened coconut
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbs. flax seed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl- mash bananas. Combine melted butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, syrup, yogurt, egg and coconut. In a separate bowl- add dry ingredients together-- flours, flax, cinnamon, oats, baking soda, powder and salt. Add dry ingredients into wet all at once and stir gently to combine. Fold in pecans if using.
- Topping. We sprinkle the muffins with a mixture of crushed almonds and raw sugar to give them a little extra crunch on top, but you can top them with cinnamon sugar or even nothing at all.
- Scoop into a prepared (sprayed with oil or lined with paper liners) muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until they are lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
[…] Most Recent Post: Coconut Banana Flax Muffins […]