National Collection Week for Operation Christmas Child is not too far in the future.
Of all the Autumn traditions we have as a family, having a small part in the amazing ministry of Operation Christmas Child is always a priority. Making boxes each year is important to our family and something we all enjoy together. It is one thing we can tangibly do to be the hands and feet of Jesus to children far away. It may often seem like a simple thing to us, but it is not to these children. They. are. grateful.
One day, I would love to be a part of the box distribution. But thanks to Samaritan’s Purse and the OCC team, we get to see beautiful photographs and video footage of our boxes in little hands and watch faces light up. It is no small thing.
In case you are packing a box for the first time, I put together a short list with a few ideas for packing your box! Many of these things come in sets of 3-5 so if you go in together with someone else to make boxes, you can get a great deal. Or save the extras for next year and you’ll have a head start. If you have Amazon Prime (I don’t know how we ever survived without it,) you can get some of these things in 2 days!
Here’s a short list of ideas– (Many of these items have amazon links, but please– check your local Target or Wal-mart or even Dollar store, many of these items can be purchased there for less if you only need one or two of an item.)
- SOMETHING to cuddle. Teddy-bear, Small doll or other stuffed toy– every child needs to pull something cuddly out! We always try to pack this towards the top so the friendly face greets them first.
- Hard Candy, Double Bagged
- Small 8oz. Plastic Cups (these are small enough to pack in your boxes, but still big enough. Target also sells something similar for 1.00 a piece.)
- Small Plastic Bowls (Many children do not even have their own bowl / cup for their daily meal.)
- Individual packages of Tissues
- Colored Pencils, Pencil Sharpener
- Safety Scissors
- Glue Sticks
- Small zippered pencil pouch for above supplies
- Small Notebooks for doodling, coloring
- Coloring books
- Bar of Soap and Plastic Soap Dish
- Colored Band-Aids
- Toothbrush with Case
- Small Washcloth
- Small clothing item (Last year we bought one of those dry-fit Champion T-Shirts from Target for our boy– and a small cotton dress or t-shirt for our girl, both folded up very small, and we tried to choose a size that would err on the side of being too big and not too small– this can be tricky since you choose an age range for your child– but I think it is worth it!)
- Small colorful Books. All through the year we collect small, flat books to add to the bottom of our box. (Chick-Fil-a often gives these away in Kid’s Meals so we set them aside right away, unopened and then have several to choose from.)
- Molded Plastic Animal Toy (Target also has a great selection of these, they are life-like and substantial.)
- Small Light-up Spike Bouncy Ball (These are so fun!)
For Girls: (especially 10-14 range)
- Hair Rubber bands on a small carabiner or holder
- Small Hairbrush (this one is pocket-sized!)
- Mini- sewing kit for girl age 10-14, this could be something that would benefit their entire family.
- Head Bands, Hair bows, Hair Clips.
- Small Lego Set
- Cozy, Fuzzy Socks or Sock-type slippers with gripper-bottoms
For Boys: (especially 10-14 range)
- LED Flashlight with extra batteries– This is HUGE for families without electricity.
- OR, consider this HAND-CRANK flashlight. Solar powered and would really be a gift for the entire family.
- Deflated Soccer Ball with Pump (I keep hearing that THIS right here is about ALL any little boy wants. 🙂 )
- Small Plastic Comb
- Small Tape Measure
- Paracord Bracelet
- Small Lego Sets
I am certain that this is a partial, non-exhaustive list– there are SO many wonderful things to add to an Operation Christmas Child Box. Feel free to mention things in the comments that you like to add to your box. I’d love to hear your ideas as well.
**Yes, these amazon links are affiliate links. I am an affiliate with Amazon so that at no extra cost to you, your purchases help support HappyGoStuckey.com