Hi. How are you, really? If you’re anything like me– you have moments of complete gratefulness for the gifts that allow us to shelter in this way– and moments of total sadness for what we expected this season would look like. I don’t ever want to be a voice to discount the hard– but there is so much goodness, too.
In fact, I would love it if you would join me in using the #hopelenses hashtag this week on instagram– as a way to remind each other of all the good there is to see.
Here are five things I’ve discovered during the Covid Season. We are truly living that at-home life, so my good things are of the Homebodyish nature.
- This method for Jammy Soft-Boiled Eggs has renewed my love of breakfast/ breakfast for lunch/ breakfast for dinner and it is super simple. When I began baking sourdough bread at the start of all this– the one thing I wanted was a perfect poached or soft boiled egg to accompany it. This is it, friends. This. Is. It.
2. Amazon has had some great book deals lately! The selections change a bit from day to day, but here’s the page where I’ve found many deals. This is my current read— it’s sad but I’m enjoying it. Which is saying something if you know me. I *did* text my friend who lent me the book this week asking, “Is this book going to break my heart?!” I enjoy a little depth and sadness always seems to come with that– but I do require at least some redemption.
If you don’t already know, KindleUnlimited is offering one-two free months right now– with a ton of good books. I happen to know that Feasting & Foraging is on that list also!
3. Speaking of, yes, that IS the frothy coffee pictured here. That would be my next good thing to share– it’s EVERYWHERE in internet land– but if you haven’t tried it yet, here’s a good recipe: Frothy (Dalgona) Coffee
I usually don’t try trendy things until everyone else is over it– #latetotheparty — but this one has been fun– however, if you find yourself out of instant coffee/ espresso, Bri McKoy shared a recipe for the Starbucks Double Shot on Ice (my favorite drink there, slightly modified) and it is spot on! Find her here and check the highlight on her Stories for the details. Where would we be without her kitchen wisdom and fun stories?
4. The Re-instatement of Friday night pizza night. Between having sourdough starter to discard and just wanting “fun food” on Fridays, we have been back at it with homemade pizza. Last night we made this one and here’s a fun one to try if you have self-rising flour but can’t get any yeast right now as I know is a common issue.
5. Jenny Williams of Carrot Top Paper Shop has done two Free lovely art tutorials for big kids on youtube and they are pure joy. One is on watercoloring and one is drawing faces– Check them out here and enjoy!
I truly tried NOT to make these all about food, but we’re cooking a lot more and keeping our meal plan a mix of chosen standards with a few new recipes is where I’m at right now.
I’d love to hear of one happy discovery you have made this season. Even if it’s just how you never noticed the light in your kitchen was, on a regular Thursday morning.
Leave a Reply