Just before the last frost of winter leaves us, this city of Augusta, Georgia begins blossoming with life.
The Masters Tournament seems to affect nearly every aspect of our beautiful azalea dotted city. Businesses and Homeowners alike begin their yearly spring spruce early in January and seem to finish just days before the magical week of the Masters.
In our family, it usually means de-cluttering every single nook and cranny and deep-cleaning the hidden corners of our house. For the past five years, we have left town in order to rent our home to visitors of the Masters. But this year, we get to stay in town and enjoy the hubbub for ourselves.
So we’re celebrating here at the Blue House Kitchen with our favorite Master’s Inspired Recipes.
First up, The Green Jacket Salad.
I know it is ridiculous to emote about salads, but this one is life-changing. Crisp, green, and simple– it is the perfect last minute dinner addition. There are no fancy-pants ingredients and the dressing is made from pantry ingredients in about 3 minutes. (Oh, and don’t leave out the pita chip pieces, they make the salad!)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 Romaine Hearts, Cleaned and Chopped
- ½ cup of diced tomato
- ½ cup chopped green onion, about 4 green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese, add more to taste
- 2-3 handfuls of Stacy's Naked Pita Chips, broken into rough pieces
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Mix Oil, Vinegar, Seasoned Salt, and Oregano together in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until emulsified.
- Chop remaining ingredients except pita chips and mix in a large bowl.
- Toss with Dressing just before serving. (You may have dressing left over.)
You may also be interested in: Green Onions and Quiet Growth