I used to think that the only true life-long learners were career students. In my ignorance, I believed that though life would be FULL of lessons, the actual learning about life itself and all it contained would slow to a gradual pace once my years of higher education were completed. Obviously, I could not have been more wrong. It seems that every new stage of life, and all the mini-stages in between are jam-packed with lessons– Learning is to be a way of life, and the more I learn, the more I realize I have yet to learn.
Just looking at the last 12-18 months, I have learned–
- what it is to embrace the term writer and what it means to be a consistent writer
- to be comfortable in my calling(s.)
- that regular (*challenging) exercise is necessary and fun, and that working out in a group is not as scary as it sounds.
- “how” to spin
- about essential oils (this is more recent and I’m very gradually learning how they might help our family.)
- that I need to be a consistent reader, (and a reader of diverse materials) in order to be a consistent writer.
- that I really LOVE to wear a lot of color, and that I’ve “hidden” in black clothes for far too long.
- that a fun scarf makes up for a lot and that I really need to learn a bunch of new ways to tie them. Thank you, Pinterest.
- that much CAN be accomplished with a pair of yoga pants and an Iced Coffee.
- that making your own salad dressing is the way to go to make it cheaper, healthier and more delicious.
- that greek yogurt can almost always be completely substituted for mayo and sour cream.
- how to translate the Rosetta Stone. (Just Kidding. That one is not true. Glad you’re still reading.)
So WHAT have YOU learned this year???
***Do you know Edie? I’m pretty sure I would want her at my favorite dinner party. She’s a fantastic writer and has a neat podcast called The Life (in) Grace Podcast. She recently had an episode on How to Become a Lifelong Learner and it’s FULL of wisdom and resources. Check it out– listen to it next time you’re in the car alone or cleaning your house– you won’t be sorry I introduced the two of you! <3 Oh, and she posted this potato soup recipe this week– which looks amazing.